1st Project: Pre-production Outline.
This is a pre-production outline for my first studio project. A list of specifications has been written below to demonstrate roughly how this project is to be excecuted.
(a). Aim/Outcome of the first studio project:
The aim of this project is to display abilities in various mic placement techniques as well as demonstrating basic studio confidence in a collaborative working environment.
(b). The track to be recorded:
I have decided to go ahead with a cover of Green Day’s ‘Brain Stew’ as it meets some of the criteria, specified in the module guide, which are as follows;
- It can be any genre. (In this case it falls under the classification of rock/punk-rock).
- Can either be an original piece or a cover. (This project involves a recorded cover of the afore-mentioned track, thus filling this criteria).
- Must be around 2-6 minutes long. (The piece lasts around 3’15”).
- Must include the following instruments – Drums, Guitar/keyboard, Bass Guitar & Vox. (The track to be recorded contains all theses instruments, with the exception of a keyboard).
(c). Instrumentation, performers & personnel:
Here is a list of the instruments to be recorded and their respective performers.
• Guitars – James Utting.
• Drums – Andy Hosker.
• Bass – James Rogers.
• Vocals – James Utting.
• Production/recording – James Utting (assisted by Sul Bateman, Matt Hollis & James Rogers).
(d) Scheduling and timescale:
Below is a estimated timescale of recording. This includes time allocated for set-up the studio and packing up mics, leads etc. after the recording session. (As mentioned, this is an ‘estimation’ as it depends largely on booking studio time-slots, instrument locating and personnel functionality/reliabilty).
• Session 1/Week 1 – 06/10/10. Drum track recording session. Drums performed by Andy. Recording by James U (assisted. Sul, Matt & James R).
(SET-UP. 30 mins, RECORDING. 1hr , PACK-UP. 20 mins)
• Session 2/Week 2 – 15/10/10. Guitar track recording session. Performed by James U. Recording by James U (assisted. Sul, Matt & James R).
(SET-UP. 30 mins, RECORDING. 1 hr, PACK-UP. 20 mins)
• Session 3/Week 3 – 22/10/10. Bass track recording session. Performed by James R. Recording by James U (assisted. Sul, Matt & James R).
(SET-UP. 20 mins, RECORDING. 1 hr, PACK-UP. 10 mins)
• Session 4/Week 4 – 29/10/10. Vocal recording session. Performed by James U. Recording by James U (assisted. Sul, Matt & James R).
(SET-UP. 10 mins, RECORDING. 1 hr, PACK-UP. 10 mins)
- Overall SET-UP time: 1 hr 30 minutes.
- Overall RECORDING time: 4 hrs 30 minutes.
- Overall PACK-UP time: 1 hr.
Time taken to finish the recording process over a period of 4 weeks with 1 session per week = 8 hrs 20 minutes. This timescale does not include time allocated for the arrangement/mixing process. All sessions dedicated to the addition of inserts and/or plugins within the project are to be undertaken during unscheduled time-slots (depending on vacancy of recording studio and/or availability of external production rooms).